The forecast is calling for scattered strong storms. Some areas are calling for hail.
What to do if bad weather hits Emporia, Kansas.
If you are in an RV please do NOT park in the grass.
Stay informed about weather conditions by listening to a NOAA weather alert radio or local TV and radio stations. Have a battery-powered radio and charge cell phones in advance.
Know the terms:
Tornado Watch – Tornadoes are possible. Remain alert for approaching storms. Watch the sky and stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio, commercial radio or television for information.
Tornado Warning – A tornado has been sighted or indicated by weather radar. Take shelter immediately.
What to do during a Tornado Warning:
- If you hear sirens then a tornado has been sighted 10 minutes away from town.
- Do not panic. Go to the nearest sturdy building or shelter immediately, using your seat belt if driving.
- Emporia Civic Auditorium, 111 W 6th Ave, Emporia, KS 66801.
- Granada Theatre, 807 Commercial St, Emporia, KS 66801.
- Most hotels have a basement for shelter.
- If you are on the course you can find a nearby church for shelter, except for Eagle DGC at Olpe Lake.
- If flying debris occurs while you are driving, pull over and park. Now you have the following options as a last resort:
- Stay in the car with the seat belt on. Put your head down below the windows, covering with your hands and a blanket if possible. If you can safely get noticeably lower than the level of the roadway, exit your car and lie in that area, covering your head with your hands.
If you drove in RV to Emporia
- Before the storm hits you have the option of driving your RV out of town away from the storm. Most of the time just an hour drive away gets you in the clear.
- Do not park your RV on grass. Please move off the grass.